Thursday, August 13, 2009

The Bag

Crash had been asking if we could make a bag for him to carry around his toy dog Buster. The bag of course had to be dog print. Ummmm, yeah I think we can do that. We finally found some fabric, it's flannellette pyjama fabric but he didn't know or care. Then I found a pattern online that gave me some direction.

The boys were fascinated to see the sewing machine and watch me set it up. They didn't even know I had one (I sew alot, can't you tell?). After showing them how it worked I then sent them to bed. And poured myself a glass of wine.


Cut. Oh measure and then cut. Right. Sew sew. More wine. I can do this!




Excellent one main part of the bag done. I was making 2 of course. Rowdy wasn't going to miss out. Look I even squared off the bottom corners!



Ok, next bag and more wine. The second one was easier as I'd worked out what to do making the first one!



Now for the front flaps - they are going to be messenger style bags. Hmmmm, measure, cut. Ummmm that's not a rectangle. Cut more. I'm supposed to round the corners? Forget it!

Interlude of dinner and United States of Tara and then back to the machine to finish sewing on the straps and their initials.

I reckon I did allright! I hung them on their doors for them to see when they woke up this morning. As I was getting ready for work Crash came in to see me and said "Mum, I just wanted to say thank-you!".

Makes it all worthwhile.

6 comments:

  1. The hangover was worth it, I like your work. Now the cryptic messenger bag tweets make sense. I used to have one of these in a heavy duty tent cotton for school. It was covered in band badges.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to dig through op shops and find some funky material and old jeans and make one for myself, you know, in my spare time....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww, great job!! Wining & sewing, haven't tried that yet...sounds like a dangerous combination!
    What a sweet little boy saying 'thank you'. That makes everything worthwhile!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome job NC! I think the PJ fabric will work a charm - will certainly be cosy for the little pup! God I miss wining and sewing - I seemed to be so much more creative and artisitc when I had a glass of wine in my hand!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're so clever Julie. Wow! Hope my girls don't expect anything like that, I always used to break the needles on the machines when I did sewing at school.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, clever you. Well done. Could you run me up a nice two piece suit?......

    ReplyDelete