Wednesday, June 10, 2009

What Not to Eat

In my quest to be healthy I've taken to buying soups from Coles and bringing them to work for lunch with a couple of slices of grainy bread. Ok, good in theory. I've had some successes and some failures, more failures in recent days and I'm now terrified of trying something new.
Success:
WeightWatchers - vegetable, beef and pasta - with a hint of chilli. Also the "pumpkin and potato" one was nice. Crash picked these after I stood for too long trying to make up my mind about which ones to buy. I love the bit of spice that the chilli adds to this - I'm not on a weightwatchers plan but I'd happily have it again.

Campbells Country Ladle - Creamy Tomato with cheese ravioli. This is another favourite - again a bit of spice and flavour from the tomato with the little pillows of cheesey ravioli thrown in.

Failures:

Everything so far that I've tasted in the La Zuppa range. The Lentil was revolting and gave me wind. The Ribbolita reminded me of vomit and I couldn't even finish it. The Cauliflower and Pea was the colour of snot, too salty and was just outright disgusting. The packaging and healthy promotion of the product keeps sucking me back in! I still have 2 flavours in the pantry to try. I don't know that I can bear it. Really. I think they are "Tuscan Bean" and "Spinach and Chickpea". Perhaps I'd be better off going back to a proven success and donating these to the dog.



Have you ever bought a product based soley on the pretty packaging only to be greatly disappointed?


5 comments:

  1. Good lord. SNOT? I won't be able to look at La Zuppa again.
    Sounds like my experiences at Aldi. Some things are brilliant (like the chocolate). Some things are beyond hideous (like the tomato sauce). Some things I can't bring myself to even try (like the tuna).
    Mystery in a can.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree about the Aldi's chocolate - that stuff is good and I'm looking forward to the new Aldi's opening up just up the road from us soley for that reason. Their white chocolate with coconut is lush. Nestle used to make coconut white chocolate but only in family sized blocks which was a shame because I'd have to eat the whole thing. Real shame.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you have a Macro store near you, try their soups from the chilled section. Can't remember the brand, but my favourite is a Hungarian Beef and something-something. Delicious! And if you can go back to the Weight Watchers one after that, I'll eat my hat! (I find the WW soups a bit glutinous - is that even a word?? You know what I mean) :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crap it...I have two La Zuppas in the pantry and am now afraid to try them

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've tried the Tuscan Bean La Zuppa - it's foul! Don't bother!

    ReplyDelete