Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Auction Fail

I buy things now and then on ebay - actually I've been buying things on ebay since the year 2000. Recently I've also joined oztion, which is the poor Australian cousin of ebay and has a lot less people bidding. Sometimes you can pick up some bargains. As with all online auctions you can also get stung. Recently I bought some shoes. I seriously don't know why I bother, everytime I attempt a shoe auction I am disappointed. Ok, not everytime, but I've had more fails than I care to mention. But yet I persist. I'm always searching for the perfect work shoe - something black, not too high heel, something I can wear with pants or skirts, something with a closed toe, something that doesn't remind me of my grandmother. I search and search. Even shops fail me.

On oztion recently I found these pair of black work shoes in "good used condition" - the pictures looked fine, the price was cheap enough so I bought them. Last night they arrived. I opened the package and discovered the heels of the shoes were so worn on the edge that the white part of the shoe was showing. It wasn't just the bottom part of the heel which could be replaced. If I owned these shoes I would have thrown them away rather than flog them off on ebay. I was pretty annoyed.

Today, because I'm just in such a super-dooper mood, I emailed the seller and complained. She very politely asked for my bank account details and has refunded me the $7.50 I paid for them. And so she should do too. Now I just feel mean and guilty. But I had every right to say something. There was no mention of "soles of shoes are scuffed" (and that is mild to how they actually are) - nothing.

I could possibly repair these shoes but I'm not going to spend a cent on them. Another pair to throw away. The search continues....

and I have another pair of shoes arriving this week. I'll never learn.

1 comment:

  1. Good on you for complaining - this is my most common problem with heels - I always wear them down at the heel while the rest of the shoe is still in great condition - Because of this i either pay ridiculous amounts of money to have the heels replaced or fixed or just toss out perfectly otherwise good shoes - Luckily that I am not working, my current choice of footwear (thongs or ugg boots depending on weather ;-) ) doesn't have the same issues.

    Anyways, I was going to say you should have a look at ozsale.com.au - I have just recently discovered it, its not an auction site but they have designer brands that you can get on sale for up to 90% off - you have to get in quick though (subscribe to email - sales open 9am unless you pay for a priorty membership). They had shoes on last week and they were stunning AND cheap!

    ReplyDelete