Friday, September 4, 2009

Farewell Mr Percival



According to ninemsn news Mr Percival, which was one of the starring pelicans from the 1976 movie Storm Boy has died of old age at the age of 33.


"Adelaide Zoo senior keeper of birds, Brett Backhouse said Mr Percival had been a favourite with zoo staff since arriving from the former Marineland in 1988.
"He was our number one breeder, leaving behind the seven offspring he sired with partner Alto," Mr Backhouse said in a statement released on Thursday."


I remember the movie and I had the book for many years too. I am fond of pelicans although they do scare the beejeezus out of me with their size. Mr Chic has had fish stolen from him by pelicans at the cleaning tables at the boat ramp as he's been cleaning fish from the day's catch.

33 years is pretty old for a bird though isn't it?
Pelicans whose beak can hold more than his belly can.
Farewell Mr Percival.

1 comment:

  1. 'his beak can hold more than his belly can'... my Dad used to say that to me and younger sister... we always looked at him strangely....

    ReplyDelete