Monday, September 21, 2009

Red Wheelie Bins

Saturday we ventured to the "big shops" (as Crash calls them) - the local Westfield. The intention was to get a 1st birthday present for our neighbours beautiful little girl - which the boys would pick, then grab some milk and bread rolls and then head home. Easy.

You'd think.

In Target and the boys selected 2 cute little t-shirts for the 1 year old. Tres Cuteness. Were the boys ever that tiny??

I digress.

As we walked through the homewares section (as I always do, in case there is a 50c wine glass that I MUST have - happened before), Crash spies a kid-sized wheelie bin. Not just one, but a WHOLE WALL of kid sized wheelie bins. "Mum!! Please, can I get a bin? Look, I can put my toys in it" and he points to the picture on the front. Hmmmmmmm. More plastic junk in the house, but it may mean a way to get them to tidy up. "Yep, ok. Just one". "YES! A red one!" and he gets a red one of the shelf and then says "But what about Rowdy? He wants one too". "Nope, just one, ok?" (There weren't exactly cheap). At which point Rowdy bursts into tears. Screaming, raging torrents of tears. It worked. "Ok, fine, one each, which colour Rowdy". "Red!" he says, instantly calm. Of course the only other red one was on the top shelf. Super-Mum could reach it and then we headed to the checkout. Me being followed by my parade of children-pushing-red-wheelie-bins.

I lost count of the number of people who stopped and spoke to us and commented on the bins. We didn't last in the shops long after that. I needed a border collie or something to round them up - "no, this way, watch the lady with the trolley, ok, now around here, careful, Crash where are you?" I truly felt like I was herding sheep all whilst "yes, they're cute aren't they, from Target, yes I hope they put their toys in them".

Of course once home the boys just thought they were great to shove stuff in and then chase each other around the house with, occasionally crashing into furniture AND each other.

At least they are tidying their toys away into them. For the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment